16. Spiritual Growth – God’s role
Ephesians 3:14-21. “When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the father, the creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.” (NLT)
God’s role in making me more mature is so much greater than my role. In a way, He is doing all the work, and I am just making myself available and cooperating with what He wants to do in my life. Then He does the following:
- Gives inner strength and power to me by His Spirit from His “glorious, unlimited resources.” His power available to me will never run out. My greatest challenge is that I do not expect or ask for more than a tiny amount of His resources that are in my bank account as His adopted daughter.
- He (Christ) lives in me; He will “make his home in your hearts” which implies that His presence is continuous; He does not just occasionally visit me.
- He gives His love. If I immerse myself in His love it will keep me strong.
- He makes me complete, satisfied, and fulfilled. This comes as a result of experiencing God’s love. Verse 19 says “May you experience the love of Christ… then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.” (NLT)
- He gives me all of the above and is able to give more than I could ask or think. (verse 20)
This powerful passage takes me back to Ephesians 1:3. For me, the greatest part of “every spiritual blessing” is the unconditional love of God, because His love leads to every other blessing and because it fills the deepest needs of my soul.
Lord, I am barely touching Your resources that are available to me. Please help me to believe You for much greater fruit in my life and through my life, for Your glory, Father.