13. Paul’s encouraging prayer – overview
Ephesians 3:14-21. “When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the father, the creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.” (NLT)
These verses are some of the most familiar and cherished words in the New Testament. After surveying all the spiritual blessings we have been given, Paul responds with his heartfelt prayers for all the followers of Christ who will read his letter. His deepest desires are that we will be filled with power and love from God.
My take-aways—Paul’s prayers are for:
- Inner strength from the Spirit – supernatural power (Lord, I am so aware of my need for You and Your power every hour of every day!)
- Christ in my heart as I trust Him (Please, Giver of faith, help me trust You more each day. I keep finding areas of my life in which I do not fully trust You. If I did, I would not worry about what may come. I would not become frustrated when circumstances interfere with what I want to do. I would be able to relax in the confidence of Your provisions and guidance.)
- Full experience of God’s love (Thank You for continuing to reveal how much You love me.)
- Ultimately, completeness and supernatural power in life. (How I need this encouragement today! May I take one step closer to this fulfillment today. Please show me at least one area that Your power can impact my life today.)